The flame is burning.
My wrist isn't.
My cheeks were at first. I'd done some swatching, but hadn't bothered with counting stitches yet. I was pretty sure I knew what I'd come up with. I liked the fabric, but when I measured what I was sure would be about 4 stitches to the inch I saw this:
I don't t know about you, but I get more like 3 1/4 stitches to the inch out of that.
I know.. I know, it should be much bigger to get a real gauge swatch... but c'mon, I'm only knitting MITTENS fer gosh sakes.
This aberration caused a very poor first run. I cast on as though that wee gauge swatch had some connection with reality. I didn't.
Luckily, this event is one where they seem to be willing to take the best time out of several runs. After a few bouts of frogging and reknitting, I got a good run in, and knit up the cuff.
I stumbled once on the next bit, and didn't decide to put any patterning in to the mitt itself until I'd knit past the thumb hole... but was able to go back and do a few extra jumps in the last minute or so of that run, by dropping stitches down and swapping some knits for purls on the way back up. It made it look more challenging anyway. Here's where I left off after round one of knitting.
This is going much faster than I anticipated, and I may actually launch into a second event if my wrist keeps cooperating. Of course, I may also decide that the mitt body is wholly blah! and rip it back to the cuff. I'm getting an idea for a better design.
Either way, we'll have to see what that physiatrist says on Monday morning. (And what the wrist says after day 2 of the Olympic season). If either one of them says I have to cut WAY back on the knitting, I'll stick to the original plan of a single event -- the mitten/ear-warmer head band event.
Signing off for now, and feeling like a completely lame competitor. I SO wanted to be able to do the Thistle Coat! With the yarn down there taunting me, these are going to be some brutal games.
Knit on for Team Wales!