There. is that better?
We will not discuss that I managed only one stinkin' row of Chrysopolis during child two's lesson today. We will certainly not discuss that this was caused by my trying to knit the wrong row entirely, having not recognized that I'd already moved the highlighter tape.
Instead, we will provide the promised picture of Mermaid's gusset progress.
Yes, I know that 's not the gusset itself (okay, it does show the under arm gusset, but that's not the one I meant). It shows the new stitches bravely cast on for the other half of the armscye -- which stitches come after the gusset. It's proof that I finished the gusset. The gusset itself looks like all the other gussets in this project, and so I didn't bother photographing it.
But much more importantly, we will discuss Irtfa'a.
Yes, that's right. The Divine Though Blogless Elizabeth (hereinafter TDTBE, or occasionally, DTB Elizabeth) came for knitting this evening.
Bear in mind that, though I have knit a Faroese style shawl before (albeit a much simpler one), TDTBE has not. She is wholly unfamiliar with the ways of these things. Thus, the way the charts are presented in the pattern (clear and reasonable, though requiring a bit of fiddling about), perplexed her a bit -- what with the chart the side panels here, and the chart for the back panel there. So, we began by assembled charts so that there would be no flipping from side to side between the side section and the back panel. (And no, we're not entirely clear on why her printer chooses to make the places with no stitches look green). Actually, I think she just likes doing this with her charts.
(After watching the ease with which she flows from one chart to the next while I flip the pattern over and over, I'm beginning to like her plan -- I may wind up doing the same before this is over).
Then, we worked row one.
We had different responses to this process:
As I said, TDTBE has never worked a Faorese shawl before, and thus she found the whole center stitch that's not in the center thing a bit frustrating.
I, on the other hand, had a moment of hubris when I whipped through row one without any problems at all. Luckily, the knitting gods did not choose to smack me down. They'll do that later when I've been too damned cocky to put in a life line at the next reasonable point to do so. Someone remind me, okay? 'Cause I'll totally forget.
Thereafter, things were a bit more peaceful. We had lively discussions about working both sides (though that really only happens in the edging -- the body of the shawl is, more or less, so far, worked with a simple resting row on the wrong side, except that there are knits mingled in. So far, there's no lace activity on the wrong-side rows. We paused between rows to confirm how lovely this all was, but refrained from photographing the process row by row. We did take a parting shot as we ended the evening after row 6.
And no, we're not confused -- she has markers between the repeats on the back panel and I don't. She tends to use more markers than I do. Sometimes, this simply means that she has more fiddling to do. Sometimes it means that isolating a problem in her lace takes MUCH less time than isolating in mine. We'll see just how long it takes before I put them in.
I will try very hard to behave. What I most want to do tomorrow is knit more on the Irtfa'a. Instead, after a healthy dose of editing, I'll focus on Chrysopolis to see if I can learn to read simple charts. Irtfa'a's multiple charts in a row seem, so far (knock wood), to be working just fine with my brain. It's the one chart per row lace that's challenging me.
Meanwhile, I'm waiting on the arrival of my yellow yarn so that I can join in the knitting of the mile. I think I may have missed it today by being at the piano teacher's house when someone tried to deliver some express mail something to me. If I miss it again tomorrow, I'll have to go to the post office..... See, I really should just stay home and knit.