A week ago, I joined some folks who are trying to make each Thursday in November (at least) a Thankful Thursday. We're pausing for a moment, and instead of focusing on what was wrong today, or what we need to do next (I still have a list, it's still huge), or even what we've gotten done, focusing on what we're thankful for.
This week, I'm thankful for
1. Finding my list. I thought, for about 1/2 an hour or so on Tuesday, that I'd lost it. I'm actually thankful for the list, because now that it's part of my life, I feel much less stressed about the possibility that I might be forgetting to do something. Of course, I now know that I'm addicted, and that losing the list would be disastrous... but I'm thankful all the same.
2. The veterans. And not just because one of them was my grandfather. I may not agree with the current war; I may think that we are fighting in places we don't belong. But I also know that without our veterans, and indeed, without many who are serving now, my world would be a very different place -- one I might not like nearly as much. Even if I'm not sure whether I agree with a even 50% of the things that America has sent its military in to deal with since WWII, I'm well aware that without them, without the long line of men and women who serve, the many freedoms I enjoy would be something I could only envy. I don't think about that very often, but yesterday WAS Veterans Day. It's good to be reminded sometime
3. The Library. I love our library. I love that I can request books, and renew books, while sitting right here at home with my little laptop on my lap. And I love that I can get recent movies for free. And I love love love that so many of the people who work there are so pleasant to deal with. There's continuous gratitude for that around here.
4. Good service and the policy of standing behind your products (okay, I'd prefer true high quality that didn't need so much of the standing behind, but the standing is very good). I'm sure I've whined about my repeated encounters with failing cables on my needles. This past week, calling KnitPicks to complain about it finally rose to the top of the to do list, and I called. There is a package
on its way to me on my kitchen table that just came in the mail, containing replacement cables (2 - a 40" and a 60"), replacement tips (my 4's were starting to snag the yarn in ways that my lace did NOT enjoy), and replacement pouches in which to keep my cables (their zipper tabs came right off!). (Insert note of thanks to the USPS for speedy shipping). There is also a package en route containing yarn for mitts I'll be knitting for Kitty (she grew... can you imagine?); I'm thankful for that too.
5. Friends who love me enough to get down on their knees to help me find all the beads I dropped when I knocked over the bead tube...
6. Bead Wrangler.... for having more of those beads in stock
7. Friends who lure me out for Sushi on a day when everyone else seems to be hell bent on thwarting my efforts to solve problems.
8. The fact that I neither own a fire-arm nor other incendiary device, and that I do not have the physical address for the folks who provide my cable TV/Internet/Phone service or the folks who provide my bill pay services. If I had these things, I'd soon be in jail for outbreaks of violent behavior. I'm hoping that next week I can report being thankful for resolving at least on of these issues.
And finally, I'm inordinately thankful that I can make a LIST of things each week, instead of only one thing.