I am cranky today and worried, and a bit stressed out. I like to think that my crankiness has just cause ... after all I was up until 0400 with my dear Gabriel....
Yesterday, at around noon, he came in, and Golf Pro noted that he was "shaky" and "wobbly" and then that he "fell down". Now, Golf Pro is not the best reporter of animal behavior, but I came down to check him out. His muzzle was all yucky, but I could find no clear signs of injury. I wiped off his muzzle, and let him down -- he promptly went to curl up in a hiding place that he rarely uses.
I then had a day full of driving people to and from the theater where Kitty had two performances of Pride and Prejudice.
When I returned at ten p.m, Gabriel was still in the hiding place, though he'd shifted himself around. I pulled him out, and he was clearly not okay. I got him to drink a little water, and he perked up a tad, but went half way up the stairs and lay back down in Phoebe's favorite resting spot (mid-flight).
I sat with him. Looked up symptoms on line, and did a little Reiki work on him. I called the emergency vet clinic. And then I gave up and took him there.
They took him off to the back, examined him... came back... got authorization for blood tests and x-rays... It all seemed to take forever. Finally, at 0200, I learned that the x-rays showed fluid in the back of his lungs (but no crackling sounds when he breathes), and gas or air in his abdomen (which in cats is not normal). His abdomen was, and likely still is, painful. And he has some sort ...of blister or something (burn mark?) on his mouth. His blood tests were fine.
He's marginally better, but still clearly in pain. Of the possible causes for his current distress... I've been told he could have bitten an electric cable (after nine years of ignoring electric cables, I can't imagine why he'd start ever done that before), gotten a head injury of some kind, eaten something toxic or had a seizure. They gave him pain killers (which clearly helped), and subcutaneous fluids, and we decided that he'd probably do better here than there (not to mention that it saves us a lot of money to not have him there overnight). We got home at 0300.
He slept with me last night -- he never sleeps with me.
Today, he's still drooling, breathing shallowly, and though moderately responsive, clearly not doing well. He is clearly still in pain; if he gets any worse at all, I'll likely be returning to the ER Vet, where I'm likely to be hanging out for much of the afternoon. I wish they'd been able to send me home with pain killers for him; that might have meant he'd not have to go back today (he has a regular vet appointment tomorrow).
I'm dithering over taking him back anyway - which is worse? His current pain level or stress of carrier/car ride/vet's office??? How can one tell?