I finished up Inebriate of Air, and decided to get right to the pattern write up (finish the charts, etc.). It started as a simple thing, and, as I recall, the pattern that inspired me to design it by being not what I wanted to knit only had three small charts. Somehow, I hadn't noticed that my design is really much more complicated.
Evidently, it is -- at least as far as pattern writing goes. There are six charts. In theory, I could combine two, but not gracefully. And really, if I wanted to be fancy, I'd have 14, since four of the charts have a left side, a center, and a right side -- but I've combined those into one chart. I'll be asking my test knitters whether they think separate charts would be easier (they could be bigger that way... but more fiddly). (Yes, Virginia, I did say test knitters -- and no I don't have them all lined up yet, if you want to volunteer). I'll be sending out the charted version within the next day.
And as for writing the whole thing out? Even with the "Repeat the previous x rows y times" thing, it takes about 7 pages to do! True, part of that is because there's a left side, a center, and a right side, and thus I can't just say "repeat 12 x" but still. Seven Pages!! Sure feels like a lot of words. And that's without the charts or any pretty pictures!
I'm working on the last chart (34 rows there), which is fiddlier than the rest -- but then it's the lovely "shoulder lace" section so it deserves to be. I hope to have this version out to test knitters in a couple of days as well.
Despite all that, it's not actually difficult to knit.
I'm dithering about whether to just self-publish, or to submit it to a magazine or Twist Collective. Despite showing it in progress a time or two, no decent pictures have actually been revealed anywhere.