The Divine Though Blogless Elizabeth and I have embarked on another knitting project together. This time, it's supposed to be easy. The point of this escapade is to help Elizabeth master the fine and glorious art of fitting a sweater to her own body, while knitting an otherwise very simple sweater.
We picked Tubey.
Tubey is easy. Really. Knit reactangle, join it's ends into tubes, and then keep knitting until you've got sleeves. Pick up stitches along the edge of the rectangle, leaving a hole for the neckline ... then knit down in the defined rib until you've finished the body tube.
So, our plan is to add short rows to accommodate the fact that both of us are women endowed wtih ... well.... womanly attributes. We aren't the same size, exactly; and we arent' the same shape, exactly. That means that our modifications will be similar, but not identical.
Easy. Except ... well... suddenly my body doesn't match up with the plans. I found that to make that sleeve section fit comfortably, I had to add several inches. I hadn't been working the largest size, but my sleeve section is several inches wider than the largest size.
So, now, in addition to working the magic bust shaping that accommodates my womanly attributes, I'm going to be doing some other adaptations to get things back down to my size. I've finished the first half of that bust dart, and I'm about to start the other changes to get this thing to fit.
My only concern -- adding those several inches used up yarn I'm not sure I have. I was cutting it pretty close to the edge on yardage in the first place. And it's far too late to get more in the same dye lot.