Long ago, my dear friend JoAnn abandoned a knitting project. She gave it to me.
I wholly understood. The project is knit on US13 (9.00 mm) needles. It's knit out of fingering weight cotton yarn. These two things should never be forced to work together. And yet.... there they were, pining to create a cover-up sort of sweater.
When I received the garment, it was essentially a long vest in need of sleeves. I pondered the validity of leaving it sleeveless, but no. Despite the insane gauge and all the holes created thereby, it needed it's sleeves.
So I acquired some US 13 dpns (the sleeves would never have worked on a 16" circular, and I just couldn't stomach trying to mess with either the magic loop or two circs for this mess. After wrestling my way through two sleeves, I wonder whether I might not have been a bit premature in my judgment.
At the beginning of the year, I proudly announced that I'd finished the first sleeve. That gave me hope. It gave me momentum. But it didn't get that sleeve knit very fast.
I forced my hand on a recent road trip, taking only a pair of socks worked on size 0 circs and this cover up. I actually did make some progress in the car. Finally, the right set of circumstances combined, and I completed the knitting!
On an evening when I couldn't find anything else, I discovered that I had, in fact, located the right size crochet hook to do the edgine, and stuffed it in the project bag.
I had pictures. They were on my phone -- my phone behaved badly enough to require a reset (ie wipe everything and start over). The T-Mobile wizard who told me how to save the photo data misled me. All photos are lost. :-(
So, no pics until I return home (yes, Virginia, I have escaped Shadowland and am blogging from Dallas Airport, happily enjoying their wifi)
So... instead of dragging this out any further -- I'll report that the Cover Up is FINISHED! bound off, edging crocheted, ends woven in.
It will be REphotographed when I get home. Maybe this time I'll even get a model-shot.